Information We Collect
Information You Provide To Us
We collect information about our users when users provide that information to us. Examples of such information collection include, for example, when you sign up to join CVSCEF’s email list, when you donate to CVSCEF, when you sign up for an event or activity through the Website, or when you take some other sort of action through the Website. The kinds of information we may collect include your first and last name, your email address, your phone number, and any other information you provide to us in connection with your use of the Website. Sometimes you may provide the information to a trusted third party vendor on our behalf instead of directly to us, but that vendor uses your information only for the purpose for which it was provided.
Information that Is Passively or Automatically Collected
When you visit the Website, we may automatically receive and record information from your computer or mobile device. This information allows us to understand how people are navigating and using our Website, and how we can improve your experience based on the information we collect. The types of information we may collect include, by way of example only, your IP address, browser type, browser language, operating system, state or country from which you accessed the Website, software and hardware attributes (including device IDs), referring and exit pages and URLs, platform type, the number of clicks, files you download, pages viewed, the amount of time spent on particular pages, the date and time you used the Website, error logs and other similar information. From your IP address, we may be able to infer your general location (e.g., city and state or postal code).
We may use third-party analytics providers and technologies, such as cookies, web beacons, tracking pixels or gifs, to help us collect the data described above. We use the term “cookie” in the broad sense to include all similar techniques and technologies. A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your computer or device when you visit a website that stores certain information about your website usage. For example, cookies enable us to recognize your computer; store your preferences and settings; enhance your user experience by delivering content specific to your interests; perform searches and analytics; and assist with security administrative functions.
Cookies can be persistent by remaining on your computer until you delete them, or they may be based on your browsing session such that they are deleted once you close your browser. You can change your settings to notify you when a cookie is being set or updated, or to block cookies altogether. If you disable cookies, some functionality of the Website may be impaired.
Information We Collect from Others
We may receive additional information about you from third parties and other sources, such as from public records, researchers, analysts, and other organizations. We use this information to supplement the information that we collect directly from you to derive your possible interests and to provide a more relevant experience for you and to improve the Website, analytics, and advertising.
How We Use Your Information
We may use the information we collect for the purposes for which you provided it, as well as:
- To provide you access to the Website by recognizing and authenticating you on the Website.
- To maintain and improve the Website, including:
- To provide the features and services available through the Website;
- To improve the content and features of the Website or to develop new services;
- To administer and troubleshoot the Website.
- To contact you, including:
- To send you information about your relationship with us;
- To contact you with information that we believe may be of interest to you;
- To process and respond to your inquiries or to request your feedback.
- For internal research and reporting.
- To comply with laws and regulations for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others.
If you provide us with your email address, we will add you to our email distribution list. If you wish to stop receiving emails from us, please email [email protected] or click the unsubscribe link in the footer of an email from us. If you provide us with your mobile number, you consent to receiving calls and messages from CVSCEF. Message and data rates may apply. If you wish to stop receiving calls and messages from us, please text STOP in response to any text message you receive from us.
We may also aggregate or de-identify information we collect from you so that it is no longer linked to you or your computer or device. We may, in our sole discretion, use such aggregated and de-identified information for any purpose and may share such information with third parties.
When We Disclose Your Information
We may disclose and/or share your information to or with third parties under the following circumstances:
- With Consent. We may share your information with your consent.
- Service Providers. We may provide access to or share your information with select third parties that perform services on our behalf. These providers use the information for the purpose it was shared. For example, we may use a third party to process donations for us, and to send emails from us.
- Within our Family of Organizations and with Collaborators. We may share your information (except for text messaging opt-in data and consent information) with Conservation Voters of South Carolina Education Fund, Conservation Voters of South Carolina PAC, and with other organizations with whom we may collaborate.
- to comply with legal process;to enforce this Policy, including investigation of potential violations thereof;to respond to your requests for customer service; and/or
- to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of CVSCEF, its agents and affiliates, users, and the public. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection, and spam/malware prevention, and similar purposes.
- Organizational Transfers. We may share your information if we acquire, merge or partner with other organizations. In such transactions (including in contemplation of such transactions, e.g., due diligence) user information may be among the transferred assets. If any of CVSCEF’s assets are sold or transferred to a third party, information collected through the Website would likely be one of the transferred business assets.
- Aggregated Data. We may share aggregated and de-identified information.
How We Protect Your Information
We have implemented administrative, technical, and physical security measures to protect against the loss, misuse, and/or alteration of your information. These safeguards vary based on the sensitivity of the information that we collect and store. However, we cannot and do not guarantee that these measures will prevent every unauthorized attempt to access, use, or disclose your information because, despite our efforts, no Internet and/or other electronic transmissions can be completely secure.
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Data
The laws in some jurisdictions require that website operators tell you about the legal grounds they rely on to use or disclose your information. To the extent those laws apply, our legal grounds for processing your information are as follows:
- Where use of your information is necessary to perform our obligations to you;
- Where use of your information is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others (for example, to provide security for our Website; to provide the services we provide through our Website; to defend our legal rights; to analyze the use of our Website; to improve our services);
- Where we have a reason to process the information in accordance with applicable law;
- Where we have your consent to engage in a particular type of processing activity.
We may use third-party web analytics services (such as those of Google Analytics) in connection with our Services to collect and analyze the information discussed above, and to engage in auditing, research or reporting. The information (including your IP address) collected by various analytics technologies described in the “Information that Is Passively or Automatically Collected” section will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers, who use the information to evaluate your use of the Website, including by noting the third party website from which you arrive, analyzing usage trends, assisting with fraud prevention, and providing certain features to you. Information about how Google uses information collected from sites that use its services is located here. To prevent Google Analytics from using your information for analytics, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on by clicking here.
If you receive an email from us, we may use certain analytics tools, such as clear GIFs, to capture data such as when you open our message or click on any links or banners our email contains. This data allows us to assess the effectiveness of our communications and marketing campaigns to help us grow.
Your Rights and Your Choices
Individuals in the European Economic Area and other jurisdictions have certain legal rights with respect to their information. They can request that we (i) provide access to and/or a copy of certain information that CVSCEF holds about them, (ii) update information that is incorrect, (iii) delete certain information that we hold about them, (iv) restrict the way we process and disclose certain information, and (v) revoke consent for the processing of their information. To exercise these rights, please email us at [email protected] with the nature of your request. We will consider all requests and will provide a response within the time period set by applicable law. We may ask that you provide us with information necessary for us to confirm your identity before responding to your request.
The Website is intended for general audiences and not for children under the age of 13. If we become aware that we have collected personal information from children under the age of 13 without valid parental consent, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as soon as practicable. We also do not knowingly process data of EU residents under the age of 16 without parental consent. If we become aware that we have collected data from an EU resident under the age of 16 without parental consent, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as soon as practicable.
Third-Party Links and Websites
Mobile Messaging Terms and Conditions:
Conservation Voters of South Carolina will send you four text messages per month on average. For help, text HELP or contact [email protected]. Text STOP to opt-out of text messages. Message and data rates may apply. Carriers are not liable for delayed or undelivered messages. CVSC is dedicated to fighting for our air, land, water, and energy through bipartisan and pragmatic political action.
Last Updated: March 14, 2023